The Young Mediators' Group was founded in 2008 and held its inaugural meeting with John Sturrock QC of Core Solutions. The group holds events in the UK throughout the year to explore mediation in context, its practice and purpose.
Below are highlights of previous events which the Young Mediators' Group have run.
- RICS and Young Mediators’ hosted a mediation “goldfish bowl” workshop, allowing attendees to hone their mediation skills in a mediation scenario played out in front of others, followed by networking. Facilitated by mediator Carol Hope, the workshop was very successful and sparked lots discussion among attendees.
- Katie Bradford (Partner, Dispute Resolution at Linklaters LLP) chaired a panel discussion on "Breaking Deadlock in Mediation", including John Sturrock (Core Solutions, Brick Court Chambers), Sarah Clover (Clyde & Co) and Beverly-Ann Rodgers (Serle Court). The standing room only event, hosted by Linklaters, was attended by solicitors, barristers, students and junior and senior members of the mediation community and was followed by a lively Q&A session and networking drinks.
- Laura McEwen (lawyer at international law firm) and Callum Murray (Mediator Co-Chair of the Young Mediators' Group) discussed "Arbitration v Mediation: differences, pros and cons". This included a live mediation role play, at the University of Edinburgh and also at the University of Dundee.
- Brent Haywood, an accredited mediator and Partner at law firm Lindsays, spoke about “Mediation bias trickery and deception in mediation and conflict resolution”, sharing his views on the psychology behind mediation and considering how impartial mediators can truly be.
- Euan McSherry, RICS Accredited Mediator and Head of Real Estate Litigation (Scotland) at law firm DWF, delivered a seminar on "Mediation in contentious asset management". The seminar, hosted by Jones Lang LaSalle, looked at the use of mediation in the property and construction sectors.
- London launch of the Young Mediators’ Group. CMS hosted the inaugural seminar of the London branch of the Young Mediators’, where mediators Tim Hardy and Amanda Bucklow discussed “What makes Mediation an Effective Process for the Parties?”.
- Bryan Clark (head of the School of Law at the University of Strathclyde), Charlie Irvine (Charlie Irvine Mediation) and Alison Ebbitt (mediator at the Family Mediation Practice) hosted an "ask me anything" panel event, involving a mediation demonstration and audience-led questions about the reality of mediation.
- Hew Dundas (international arbitrator) and Valerie Dougan (accredited mediator and lawyer at international law firm) discussed 'Arbitration v Mediation: differences, pros and cons' and Valerie hosted a live mediation role play, at the University of Edinburgh.
- The ICES and Young Mediators' Group collaborated on 'What should Experts expect in Mediation?', where accredited mediator Jane Fender-Allison explored the legal framework of mediation, what experts face leading up to and on the day of mediation and the expectations clients might have.
- In a joint event between the Young Mediators’ Group and SYLA, Jane Fender-Allison (CMS Cameron McKenna LLP) and Alan Susskind (Partner, Harper Macleod LLP) discussed ‘Mediation: beyond the basics’.
- Young Mediators' Group spoke at the SYLA Civil day conference in Dundee discussing the use of mediation as part of commercial disputes and formal litigation processes.
- In a joint event between the Young Mediators’ Group and TANQ, Callum Murray (Co-Chair of the Young Mediators’ Group) and Alan Susskind (Partner, Harper Macleod LLP) discussed ‘An Introduction to Mediation’.
- Fiona O’Donnell of the University of Dundee and David Cunningham of Pinsent Masons hosted ‘Arbitration and Mediation: differences, pros and cons’, in a joint event between the Young Mediators’ Group and the CIArb Young Members, at the University of Dundee.
- Giles Woolfson of McGrade & Co discussed mediation in employment: a work place context, including live role plays of typical employment mediations.
- Pamela Lyall of Core Solutions spoke on ‘making the most of mediation for lawyers’; a practical look at best practice.
- Brent Haywood Partner & Head of Commercial Litigation at DWF spoke about mediating by stealth; mediation in the everyday workplace.
- Graham Boyack, chief executive of the Scottish Mediation Network spoke on mediation in the Small Claims Court and its future role.
If there is a specific event or seminar topic which you would like to suggest or collaborate with, please get in touch.